Friday, January 18, 2008

Getting started

I have been thinking about organizing  all my recipes for awhile now, but have made no progress.  I am not sure that blogging my favorite recipes is progress, but it is something!  


So, I will start with my new favorite cookie recipe.  It makes more cookies than we know what to do with, even with 6 people in the family!  Making the dough is the easy part, rolling and icing all the cookies is an all afternoon event, but in the end, so worth it!  

Amy's favorite Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
12 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar until smooth (I do it in my kitchen aid :)
Beat in eggs and vanilla
Stir in flour, baking powder and salt
Cover and chill in fridge overnight

Preheat oven to 375
roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-1/3 in. thick (I like my cookies thick because they stay softer) 
Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 7-8 minute
Place on cooling rack and cool completely before icing.

I love lemon icing on sugar cookies and usually just mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and a little milk until I get the right consistency and the right flavor (you need very little liquid, so be sure you don't over do it).  It is okay if the lemon is a little strong because the sweetness of the cookies balances it out.  I also used a 40% off coupon at Michael's to get a box with 8 different colors of icing coloring so I have lots to choose from when I decorate!  

Hope you enjoy the cookies as much as I do!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com